UWorld Review 2019 NCLEX RN – How Does UWorld NCLEX RN Compare to the Actual NCLEX?

uworld

As a recent graduate from an accredited Registered Nursing program, I only had one thing on my mind… THE NCLEX. This word can stop your heart in a second, but don’t worry, as new nurses you’ll know how to restart it… by studying.

Yes, I said studying. Just because you’ve graduated school doesn’t mean you’re done with those dreaded long and sleepless nights of cramming. Before you know it, there’s only a week left before your test, and you might find yourself wondering what else you could possibly do.

A week before my NCLEX I decided to strictly do practice questions, and that’s when I came across UWorld. I spent a lot of time scouring the internet for websites claiming to have NCLEX style practice questions. UWorld was a reputable program that kept popping up, so I decided to give it a try… and it must have worked because I passed with 75 questions and I was done! I truly believe that UWorld was a key component of why I passed the NCLEX on my first try.

Is UWorld for you too? I’ve assembled a list of pros & cons to help you make your decision :slightly_smiling_face:

Pro:

Pro: UWorld has a great user interface

While this might not seem super important to some, it’s a deal breaker for others. Also, UWorld’s interface is designed to look nearly identically to the actual NCLEX, so it will look super familiar to you when you’re actually taking your test.

The precision is down to the question counter, timer, fonts, buttons, colors, and placements:

Studies have shown a benefit to studying in a familiar testing environment, and it’s nice that UWorld is giving its users that little extra push. Here’s a study:

Pro: UWorld has a massive Qbank!

UWorld has a huge question bank with thousands of questions. A program that has thousands of questions is great because it will test your knowledge without serving you tons of repeat questions while taking practice tests.

Pro: UWorld has multiple subject fields

Another pro to having thousands of questions is that you get complete coverage across all subject fields. You don’t want to buy an NCLEX prep program that focuses heavily on one subject area but neglects others. That isn’t how the NCLEX works, and it isn’t how your study program should work either. There are plenty of SATA questions, matching questions, prioritization, drug calculations, and also some with pictures.

0f0159_11

Pro: UWorld has a good mobile app

This was a huge pro to me because I’m constantly on the go, and it was nice to have access to practice questions with just a simple click on my phone.

Pro: Rationales

While answering practice questions you might come across one that you simply know nothing about and try to guess. UWorld provides detailed rationales for which answer is the most correct and why the others are incorrect.

Pro Tip: Read all of the rationales for everything… you’ll thank me later.

The quality of the rationales is super high by the way, and it’s like they got the relevant info straight out of a textbook. Much better quality than some competition like Kaplan or Saunders.

Pro: UWorld has good S.A.T.A. questions

It’s one of the most dreaded mnemonics known to nursing students worldwide. UWorld offered many S.A.T.A. questions and provided detailed rationales explaining each selection (correct or incorrect), which is an essential part of preparing for the NCLEX because you honestly have no idea how many of your questions could possibly be S.A.T.A.

Pro: UWorld has Great Customer Support

UWorld was always very prompt, respectful, and helpful in responding to all of our questions and concerns. This is something you deserve as a paying customer, and UWorld knows it.

Con: UWorld is A Little Pricey

After coming out of school, the last thing you want to do is cough up more money to spend on education materials. But in the long run, these small fees are really an investment in your future, if they can help you pass your test on the first try.

I know the cons list is a little light, but that’s just because UWorld doesn’t really have many.

Disclaimer: UWorld was kind enough to give us a free 7 day trial of their RN NCLEX Qbank. We were not paid or reimbursed by UWorld in any way, and this review is our honest opinion of their product. We hope you’ve enjoyed this article. Be sure to check out UWorld!

Is UWorld harder than the NCLEX?

Is UWorld Harder Than the NCLEX RN 2019?
How to Study for the NCLEX - Study Tips for 2019
How is the NCLEX Scored? Quick Facts for NCLEX 2019

I liked UWorld. I used Hurst, Saunders, Kaplan, HESI, and UWorld and I’d say that UWorld was the closest NCLEX-y experience out of the bunch. The way they rotate questions, even the look of the app was pretty close.

It isn’t cheap though, so if your program had you buy something else, I’d probably start with that stuff first.

UWorld is a Godsend. Seriously, if you need a test bank, and I think there’s really value there, then look no further. It’s pretty expensive, but it’s very good quality. Reading the rationales teaches you a lot, and rather than reading chapter after chapter, this will help you get better at taking test questions and teach you at the same time. Plus, it’s focused for the important NCLEX topics and question styles.

I really enjoyed UWorld. The practice tests are as long as you choose, and the questions are very close to what you will see on the NCLEX. I like that you can learn a lot from the rationales, and also that you can find out where you need to study more based on performance. You can dial in specific focused tests if you want, so if you’re doing poorly on questions about Peds, for example, you can make a Peds specific test.

UWorld was fantastic. It was hard, but I feel like it adequately prepared me for my NCLEX.

UWorld is a great help really.

I recommend UWORLD to the highest level. My school did ATI and I had to retake the ATI predictor 3 times just to pass! I switched over to UWORLD and did 75-125 questions a day for 1 month. Read the rationales wether right or wrong and went over every subject. The rationales are superb and explains in great detail which gives you an idea of how many other ways they can formulate those questions. I passed NCLEX in 75 questions. Couldn’t believe it.

I made an account just to write about uworld because it is literally the best decision you could make when preparing for NCLEX. I am really not kidding when I say this. To start out I graduated in December 15th 2018 and took the NCLEX on February 2nd. I had 75 questions and it shut off.

PLEASE READ ALL - PROMISE YOU ITS WORTH HEARING!!

Starting from the beginning of my story: I graduated nursing school with a 3.8 GPA. My school had used ATI to study and I had made level 1 and 2 throughout nursing school. I took the predictor and it showed it was prepared. However, I was very intimated because you never fully know if your truly prepared, how prepared, prepared like how you need to be, etc. I had many resources from textbooks, ATI books, online virtual access, and the NCLEX RN mastery app. I wanted to use what I had because I didn’t want to spend anymore more than I had to and people told me i didn’t really need to so I wasn’t going to. About 2 weeks in I began to just feel anxious and unprepared. I felt I had so many resources I didn’t know where to really begin and what to exactly focus on. It seemed like too much. As I studied my material I noticed I was studying more focused stuff rather than testing strategy. My friends had told me about uworld but I hesitated because of the price. Thought about it more for a couple of days. Finally decided might as well because I wasn’t going to give myself that chance of not passing because I didn’t spend extra money.

BEST DECISION EVER!!! I decided when I bought it that I would stop using all my other resources and just focus on one, which was uworld. I had 3 weeks to study remaining and the app gives 2000+ questions so I divided everything out to try to finish all the questions within that time. I did the one that was 2 assessments and the practice questions ($199). I did about 700 questions and did a practice assessment and got very likely to pass, then did more question and did another assessment and it said the same thing. (I acted like my practice was real so I put my assessments in the morning like I was taking nclex). Going through the questions I highlighted like crazy and used all the app resources like flash cards on the body systems and the notes. Free time I would glance over those again. I was on about 650 left over and I felt stuck I didn’t know whether to go back through the wrong again to grow there or keep going through the ones I hadn’t done. I asked a friend and she made a really good statement “you aren’t doing these questions to memorize the answers, you’re taking these to learn strategies”. So I kept going with the ones I hadn’t done. I wasn’t able to finish all, I ended with 400 remaining.

The day before the test: I DID NOT STUDY / DO NOT STUDY!!! I know I know this is very hard to do, very hard. But please please listen and do not study. It will only make you more anxious and doubtful of yourself. If you do practice questions the day before and you notice you are getting some wrong you will completly doubt yourself and think you’re not ready. DO NOT DO IT! Take that day to be with your family, friends, and rest. I shopped a little, went out to eat with my fiancé, rested, took a melatonin and went to bed early, my motto was if I don’t know it by now then there’s nothing else I can do. 24 hrs isn’t going to realistically make a huge difference.

Test day morning: woke up super early, about 2 hrs before the exam, ate a huge breakfast (EAT!!!) drank coffee to wake me up, drank vitamin C and took vitamins to help my body and brain to start pumping. I looked over briefly at my cheat sheet I made on my basics: acid base, electrolyte ranges, mnemonics, etc. arrived at the place 30 min before. I drove listening to my favorite music jamming to get my in my happy cheerful mood. Walked in and they scanned me in, took picture, checked me in.

During test: I was super anxious, not going to lie! I had to do dozens of deep breaths, it took me 2 and a half hours to do 75 questions. It is NOT based on memorization, nclex is based on using critical thinking and that’s what I absolutely loved about uworld. Uworld is only based on that. Priority questions are huge. What to do first, who to see first, least concerning, most concerning.

After test: I felt so nauseous, I 100% thought I failed, I kept getting such hard questions that I didn’t know which made me super insecure (that’s also a positive sign you passed/now I know). I did the Pearson vue trick and it worked (google on YouTube) I also paid the unofficial to know for sure and I PASSED!!!

Recap: take uworld, I doubted it & I never should have. The graphics are great, the resources on it are great, everything is fantastic about it! Super accessible, super convenient and 100% like nclex. I truly believe that without you uworld I would not have passed. Nursing school didn’t teach a lot of time management or priority. If money is holding you back - don’t let it. Do anything you can to get uworld, don’t let some money hold you back from you seeing those two letters beside your name - RN. You can do it. If I can, you can!