I’m not alone in advocating for the removal (or severe edit) of the HCAHPS system implemented by the government. I believe it is an unnecessary intervention into healthcare that is leading to bad practices in efforts to increase reimbursement.
Check out this article from the Mayo Clinic:
In short, here is the progression:
- Patients desire pain control to rate a hospital experience well
- Hospitals are leaning on providers to increase HCAHPS scores for more reimbursement
- Opiates are overprescribed
- Patients are developing opiate addictions from healthcare exposure
- Addicted individuals are seeking drugs in legal and illegal ways
- Opiate-related deaths are on the rise
We need to end the HCAHPS system, or highly refine it. We absolutely need to remove the aspect of adequate pain control.