AIDET is an acronym that stands for:
- Acknowledge: Say hello and greet the patient. Smile
- Introduce: Explain who you are, for example… Hi, I’m Rachel, your nurse for today.
- Duration: Give time estimates for things such as tests, and doctor & nurse rounding if possible.
- Explaination: This is the meat of the conversation where you can explain what needs to be done and answer any questions.
- Thank you: Thank the patient for their time!
AIDET is a tool meant to be used by all healthcare providers including nurses, EVS, doctors, pharmacy, patient care techs, etc. It is an effort to improve communication between patients and family with their healthcare team.